Facebook Badge

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Trippin'

I have a bad case of the winter blahs. Unlike other people up north, it doesn't hit me in January, one of our darkest, coldest months. Nope, mine hits right about now. March. When I know its spring in the rest of the world, and I desperately want it to be spring here!!! My remedy is usually a quick vacation-I love to travel and most years I'm on a plane at least 4-5 times. But I'm not going to be able to do that until later in the year (darn job!). So I thought I'd blog a little bit about travel. What you need to travel, HOW to travel and fun travel accessories.

I don't really like to check luggage if I can avoid it. It's not so much a concern that they will lose my luggage (rarely happens), but more that I am terribly impatient and hate standing around waiting at the baggage carousel! So I have equipped myself with a really good rollaway bag.

I have a Samsonite Spinner rollaway bag, similar to the picture but mines boring black (or chic black?) I love spinners because you do not have to deal with a top-heavy bag tipping over every time you stop for minute. This rollaway also holds a lot of stuff, while still fitting comfortably in the overhead compartment.

About that overhead compartment. You do know that it doesn't belong to JUST you, right? That you share it with the other people in your row and on the plane? If you have a small enough bag, stow it under the seat in front of you. And when you use the overhead, turn your luggage so it goes end-in, making room for other travelers. Don't be this guy....


Another important thing about only bringing carry-ons is making sure you don't try to bring liquids through security screening that are not properly packaged. I know, its really a ridiculous rule, but ignoring it means YOU will be the one holding up the line and looking like a dumba$$. The limit is 3oz of liquid per container, and that doesn't mean a half-full 6oz bottle of shampoo. That means a 3oz (or less) size bottle. If you don't want to buy a bunch of travel size items, this is a great idea:

Many travel kits now come with a case that is of TSA required size, in addition to the perfect sized travel bottles. If you want to streamline your makeup when you travel, this is a fun kit from Benefit Cosmetics:

It even comes with a mirror, how cute is that?

Also, when you go through security, in order to streamline your process and make it easier for EVERYone in line, remember the drill-it doesn't really change:

1. have your government issued ID out and ready. Your boarding pass must reflect the same name as your ID.
2. Take off your shoes, coat and jewelry
3. Take your laptop OUT of its case and in a separate bin
4. your 3oz liquid collection in its ziplock baggie must be out of your bag and in a bin, visible to TSA
5. Place your bags on their side as they go through the screening.

For on-board goodies and relaxation, make sure you have reading material, water (you can buy it once you are inside security) and maybe this:

 If you want to catch some ZZZs. You may also want to bring a small fold up blanket, or big sweater, as blankets are no longer provided by most air carriers.




I often bring my own meal and snacks, although I enjoy Alaska Airline's cheese platter and snack packs!

Keep some lotion on hand, as it is sooo dry on the plane, as well as chapstick and some disinfectant wipes. Those fold-out trays? Total nest of bacteria! Wipe 'em down.

Most of all, enjoy your travels! Be kind and considerate to fellow passengers-remember that poor person stuck in the middle seat might enjoy an armrest too (and someday that might be you in that middle seat...karma will get you every time), and be polite to your flight attendants.

Maybe next blog I'll take a virtual vacation somewhere and show you all my travel size beauty supplies!!

1 comment:

  1. I'll send you some pics of travel by plane then into a saddle bag on a Harley! I have learned that I too can live without everything that fills a large suitcase. And if I wanted to shop, I either had the store ship it to me, or we found a post office (priority mail flat rate boxes ROCK)! Thanks for the reminders Jody! Especially since you really don't want to be or know "that guy"

    ReplyDelete