Facebook Badge

Friday, April 13, 2012

Healthy (-er) Snack food, or Adventures at the Natural Food Store...

Since I've been trying to get back in some semblance of shape, as well as improving my diet in general, I decided to take a trip over to our local natural foods store the other day. We are not lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods where I live (darn it!) but we do have a local store called the Natural Pantry, as well as New Sagaya, both great places to shop for fresh, organic food items and stuff you can't always find at the grocery store. I stopped in at Natural Pantry, looking for some smoothie supplies and maybe some healthy-ish snacks to munch on.

Natural Pantry is kind of a cool, funky place with a vibe I've never been able to put my finger on. Part hipster, part earth mother, it always has that musty "health food store" smell to it. I spent a lot of time in health food stores as a kid. My dad was a huge health "nut" (as they called them in the 70s). He was really ahead of his time, making his own yogurt, forcing us kids to eat things like wheat germ, natural peanut butter and organic honey. While I really would have preferred to go to McDonald's as a child, I appreciate that he gave us all a great start, with health habits that have continued through our adult lives.

Anyway....here are some of the things I found....

Seasnax roasted seaweed snacks in spicy chipotle. I am always looking for something crunchy to give me that "chip crunch" I crave. And the whole container was only 15 calories. The label says they are "strangely addictive". I can't deny it, even though the chipotle was a little too spicy for me (and I like spicy food), even though they have a bit of a seaweed smell (not unpleasant, just different if you aren't expecting it), I keep eating them. Such yummy crunchiness! And the good news is, sea vegetables are one of the best source of minerals you can get!

I also found these items for my chip fix....



Doctor Cracker chips, another organic, natural product. I got the pumpkin seed cheddar flavor-not bad, with a nice crunch. A little bland though, but good if you pile some cheese or yummy dip on them (okay there goes the health factor!)

I also LOVE this brand of chips...Food Should Taste Good. They have a wide variety of chips, from tortilla chips to blue corn to sweet potato. I haven't found one yet that I don't like! These are a new variety and they are yummy! Now, if you're trying to lose a few lbs like me, you can't eat the whole bag-they are still pretty high in calories. But I appreciate that I am getting in some veggies while I munch, and they are all-natural and a good source of fiber.

 If you like the spicy, up-your-nose taste of wasabi, you'll love these...

Feng Shui hot wasabi green peas. Crunchy, slightly sweet with that kick of wasabi (a pretty big kick!) these are another good way to get some greens in your life. And at 120 calories for a 1/3 cup serving, a good snack for those working on their waistline.

I do love my sweets, and that is one of the more difficult things for me to cut back on. Here are a couple delicious treats I picked up...


Gin Gins are an interesting little candy. They are made from real ginger and are supposed to be good for settling your stomach, especially when you are traveling or on the go (hence the term, "The Traveler's Candy"). I think they are yummy anytime, if you like the taste of ginger, you'll be hooked.

Sunspire coconut and dark chocolate candy bar is all natural with no artifical flavors. It has just as many calories as my favorite Mounds candy bar, but has a denser, richer taste, which means I only ate about a third of it rather than downing the whole thing! I felt fully satisfied and didn't need to keep snacking later.

While keeping to fresh fruits and vegetables and whole foods is optimum  when trying to get in shape or eat healthier, I think it is important to not completely deprive yourself either! If I can find a healthier alternative to the junky snacks I sometimes like, I feel it will make me more successful in my health and fitness endeavors overall.

So next time you are wandering the chip or candy aisle, venture off into different territory and see what the natural food store might offer! You never know what kind of goodies you might find!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for doing the research. Now I need to track down the Sunspire Chocolate bar.

    ReplyDelete