Facebook Badge

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The things they don't need to know

The other night my boyfriend and I were going out. He came into the bathroom while I was getting ready and saw this (great product from Neutrogena, btw):

"Whats this?" he said, picking it up and scrutinizing it. "Filler? Deep wrinkle filler?" I snatched it out of his hand and shooed him out, saying "Some things are private!"

I am not one of those people who thinks couples need to share EVERY intimate detail of who they are. I don't leave the bathroom door open when I pee, and I don't let my boyfriend see all the things I do to keep myself looking decent.

Men are visual creatures-they will be the first to tell you. A man likes to see the finished product, not necessarily the process (although men can find watching a woman apply her makeup a very sexy image indeed). A man likes a little mystery. For that matter, so do I. I don't really want my boyfriend to leave the bathroom door open either! I know there are couples who think the path to a deep connection is being comfortable enough to let it all hang out. But I think I can forge a deep connection just fine without opening up every miniscule facet of my daily routine and bodily functions.

He does not need to know how often I exfoliate, and he doesn't need to see me walking around with a pore minimizing mask on my face. He doesn't need to know how often I color my hair, or what color my hair really is under that color (not pretty, that's all I'm saying....). He doesn't need to know I occasionally use this


to take care of those few "problem hairs". He doesn't need to see me picking, tweezing, removing, refreshing or cleansing. Considering it from a "need to know" perspective, he really doesn't need to know!

Even though we've been together for years now, I will continue to shoo him out of the bathroom and stow my wide variety of "tools" away from his prying little eyes. I do not think this takes anything away from our intimacy. I know he loves me completely and without reservation. If I suddenly started coming to bed with a slimy green mask on my face, he'd still love me. But for me, that little edge of magic and mystery would be lost. That magic is what makes me feel, when I emerge from the bedroom to go out on the town, like the most beautiful woman in the world. I see that magic reflected in his eyes, and I do not want one iota of pixie dust to escape by way of an open bathroom door.

No comments:

Post a Comment