Facebook Badge

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let's start with skincare

Anyone who lives in a northern climate knows that skincare is a top priority. Or it should be. With inclement weather that includes wind, snow, rain, sunny days and dry, dry, dryyyyyy air, it is important to take good care of our lovely epidermis. Its the only one we get, and unfortunately, not taking care of it will show over time.

Today I'm going to offer some skincare tips, as well as products that I like and use. Before I start, let me give my very first piece of advice, which is to stay AWAY from the tanning beds. I know, its winter and its cold and we all just want a little taste of sun-kissed warmth. I went through my own phase of tanning in my late teens and early 20's. I wish I had never done it, the damage to my skin was irreversible and even worse, those yearly visits to the dermatologist get a little more nerve-wracking every year. Please ladies, just say no.

Right in line with that advice is sunscreen. Many of us travel to warmer climates in the winter months, or enjoy lots of outdoor activities no matter what time of year it is. Yes, vitamin D deficiency is an issue in the north, and I do agree that 15 minutes a day  of sun exposure is beneficial. But after that-slather on the 50spf. I travel to Hawaii quite often, always use 30-50spf sunscreen, and still come back with a light tan. I like the spray sunscreens, they tend to go on more evenly and reach all those places that are easy to miss. The downside of the aerosol sunscreens is you can go through a can in a couple days if you are applying it as often as you should. But its worth it to me. I don't want another sunburn in this lifetime, its not worth the risk to my Irish skin or my health. Any of the spray sunscreens are good, I like Coppertone Sport because it dries quickly and doesn't leave a sticky residue. I also like the Target "Up" brand, inexpensive and works just fine.

So, now that you are making the commitment to wear sunscreen, lets talk about daily care. Cleaning your face every night, especially if you are like me and LOVE makeup, is another important part of skincare. I don't care if you were out till 2 a.m., or if you are just too tired after a long day at the office. Wash your face. What to use depends on your skin type. I have very dry skin, always have, and as I've gotten (gulp) older, it just seems to get drier. So for me, a cream cleanser is the best-something that won't leave my face feeling tight and rinses off gently. I like the BodyShop's "Natrulift"  cream cleanser. If you have oily or combination skin, you may want a foaming type cleanser that gets rid of some of the daily accumulation of oils and dirt.

Once your face is clean, you need to moisturize. Again, this is dependent on skin type. My skin is dry and old...so I use a heavy duty night cream with retinol. ROC night cream is my absolute favorite. I've used tons of different brands and I keep coming back to this. $20 at the drugstore, with enough retinol to help with fine lines but also mild enough to use nightly. The Olay Regenerist line also seems pretty good, I've used the serums and while they are not quite moisturizing enough for me, they might be perfect for those with oilier skin. If you want to shell out some money, Ole Henriksen is an awesome skin care line. I've used several of their skin and eye creams, all very nice. Totally worth the $30-50 price tag? Eh....

No matter your skin type, I recommend giving your skin some extra special treatment once or twice a week, or at least a few times a month. I like microdermabrasion treatments for my skin. Gives me a nice glow and helps smooth away those wrinkles (sensing a pattern here? Yeah, I know.). The best one I've found is the Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion & Peel System. Cost about $25 for the set and it lasts quite awhile. For a super quick treatment, Clinique has a product called the "Turnaround 15 Minute Facial" that is easy to apply (goes on like a mask) and is very gentle.

Speaking of gentle, I want to assure you that all the products I recommend are (at least for my skin) gentle and work for sensitive skin, so if I neglect to say it a time or two, assume that any product I use is okay for those of us with skin that is easily irritated.

So, we've covered night time skin regimes (and it should be a regime, a habit, an obsession. I'm not kidding!) but what about mornings? Contrary to some of the directions you see on facial cleansers, I do NOT wash my face morning and night. I wash my face thoroughly at night, and in the morning I simply rinse it with warm water in the shower. With dry skin, I don't want to wash away any of the nice plumping oils my skin has accumulated at night-for me its overkill to wash in the morning. I simply rinse and apply a good day moisturizer. I like Philosophy's Miracle Worker line, as well as Clinique. ROC also has an excellent day cream if you don't want to spend a ton. I also really recommend an eye cream. Clinique's "All About Eyes" is great and helps reduce eye puffiness and dark circles.

That's pretty much it for my skin care program, although I love to add in a professional facial every so often (more on that in another blog). I won't get into makeup today, but stay tuned for a rundown of my personal faves from a wide variety of makeup brands!

No comments:

Post a Comment