Facebook Badge

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

In the mood for nude?

The fashion world has been buzzing about nude hosiery making a comeback. Thanks sooooo much Middleton sisters for putting this issue back on the table of "what to wear".

I worked in an industry for years that required hosiery. Nude or navy were the choices and bare legs were not an option. Really, I grew up in an era where bare legs anywhere were rare (okay, maybe living in a place that has winter six months out of the year has something to do with that...) and if you worked in any kind of pink or white collar industry, they were pretty much standard issue. When Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City went hose-less, I think a whole militia of women jumped up and said "hooray!", vowing to never put their legs in this position again.




It took me awhile to get used to the concept, to not feel naked when I wore a cute summer dress with bare legs, or a skirt with pumps and no hosiery. Once I got there, though, I embraced it and swore my hosiery days were done!

Okay, not completely done. I still love fun tights and have quite a few of different patterns and textures, much like these:


I think tights can add a sexy and stylish "oomph" to an outfit, especially if you are in a basic black or grey skirt or dress. They are fun, whimsical, and best of all-mostly inexpensive. I've bought some VERY fun tights at JcPenney's, even our local grocer Fred Meyer carries a nice assortment. And nowadays, the rule of no open toed shoes with tights seems to have fallen by the wayside (I still struggle with that one, but I admit dark patterned tights paired with super stacked open toed pumps looks amazing!)

But nude hose. Hm. I don't know ladies. Seems like a step backwards in fashion to me. What's your take? Share your thoughts !

2 comments:

  1. Nude hose are like bangs. You can wear them, but you have to look very fashion-deliberate in order to pull them off. Otherwise you look like a refugee from the 80s. I'm not sure I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I'm not sure I *want* to do it!

      Delete