Facebook Badge

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Put a Wreath on it!

I decided this Christmas I needed a new wreath for our front door. I have an old one that I got a zillion years ago, and figured it was time to usher in a new one. Unfortunately the ones I liked were all VERY expensive. So I decided I could make my own wreath for less-so much less, in fact, I made two!!!

For the first one, I took an old grapevine wreath I had sitting around (you can buy them for about $6 at Michaels craft store) that I'd spray painted gold. I'm not much into gold anymore, so I re-painted it in silver...

Once it was dry, I used my trusty glue gun (I'm a horrible seamstress but can do pretty much anything with a glue gun!) and glued on some glittery beaded garland and small decorative ornaments (purchased at Michaels for less than $10 altogether-everything is on sale there of course). This is how it turned out...

 
 
 
It didn't even take that much time. I decided to put this one inside the house, since its been below zero outside around here lately and I wasn't sure how well the beads and such would hold up. Since it was a pretty quick craft project, I decided to make ANOTHER wreath!

For this one, I took a plain green wreath (Michaels $3.99) and decided to make use of all the kids ornaments that they've made over the years. We used to have a "kids tree" but don't have space for it anymore, and my kids are getting older now, so they don't clamor to have "their" ornaments on the tree. All of these ornaments, made with loving little hands, are important to me and I wanted to show them off again. So I glued them onto the wreath, with some plain white ornaments as accents:

I was really happy with the results, I think it turned out very fun and festive, and looks beautiful on my front door! Such an easy way to recycle ornaments that don't make their way to the tree anymore, and to preserve something very precious to me.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy doing crafty stuff, and got so much enjoyment out of making these! Don't be afraid to break out that glue gun and make one for your door too!

Happy Holidays!

1 comment: