Facebook Badge

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

At the Movies

I haven't posted in a such a long time, but one of my New Year's resolutions was to try to post more often, so hopefully those of you who enjoy reading my silly little blog will be happy to know this!

One of the reasons I haven't posted, in addition to the usual struggle of life and work and never enough time for all the things I want to do, is I've been working on one of my true passions-writing a screenplay.

Movies have always held a huge fascination for me. As a little girl (long before the invention of VHS movies, yes I'm really that old....) my dad would often take me to the movies. I think as a young, single parent, he didn't really know what to do with a small child much of the time, so we saw a LOT of movies. I saw everything, from Disney to James Bond, some movies more appropriate than others, but he took me to all of them. After we went to a movie, it would re-play in my head for at least a week, while all my games and playing with dolls were a repeat of movie scenes.

As an adult, that love hasn't faded one bit. One of my favorite escapes is to go to a midday movie alone. It's seldom crowded (there have been times where I was literally the only person there. My own personal screening!) and when I go alone I can fully concentrate on all the nuances of the story. Oh and I don't have to share my popcorn with anyone! When I sit down to watch in that darkened theater, I can actually feel the tension leaving my body. For just a couple hours, nothing matters but that big screen in front of me.

It's no wonder that my writing has begun to transfer itself to this art. And art it is. It's an art, a craft, and it's like nothing else I've ever done. Screenwriting requires a specific template and formula, especially for those who aren't already a part of the industry and are trying to get noticed by an agent or producer. It's incredibly difficult, challenging and frustrating. As a freelancer, I'm sure I could find more lucrative ways to spend my time.

And yet I keep trying. I've written three screenplays so far. One of them has managed to make it to the semi-finals in a couple of contests, which is endlessly exciting to me yet doesn't mean much in the world of filmmaking. I just started working on my fourth. My dream is to someday sell a script, even if it is only sold to end up sitting on a shelf somewhere. Of course to see it made would be the pinnacle for me.  Yet on the days when I struggle to get those words on the page, I wonder why I am wasting my time.

But when I sit down in that movie theater and watch the magic of seeing a story brought to life. I know why. I want to be a part of that magic. I want to be the one who makes people think, laugh, cry or even get angry. I want to tell a story that will give other people that same feeling I get when I watch a good movie (or even sometimes a bad one) - that feeling of anything being possible, of the wonder or tragedies of the world. Of this human condition, so interesting, so fragile, so amazing.

At the heart of all of us is the desire to dream. To see, do and be more. I hope someday to take you to the movies, with my own dreams made into reality. And I promise not to make you share your popcorn!

Keep dreaming~

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean....time is flying by and I too am trying to get back into posting more.
    A screenplay...good on you.

    ReplyDelete